Case Study Overview
The third largest state-owned highway system in the United States is maintained by the state DOT (Department of Transportation). The state DOT planned to centralize traffic control/monitoring of highways (including roads, bridges, and tunnels) across the state’s five central TMCs (traffic management center). These TMCs serve as hubs for regional emergency response and incident management operations of traffic-related events. TMC operators will have access to real-time traffic information from DOT personnel, state police, emergency response agencies, cameras, sensors, and other tools to ensure traveler safety by notifying drivers of traffic conditions and emergency events via VMS (variable message sign) broadcasts and other public media. “Our role is to facilitate the safe and efficient travel of drivers… By coordinating fast, effective incident response and communicating traffic information to the public in a timely manner from our Traffic Management Centers, we can provide the best possible driving experience for our customer.” said the DOT Commisioner.
- Gigabit network backbone for large volumes of video data
- NEMA TS2 compliance for network components
- Network redundancy with secure data encryption capability
- Network traffic management for bandwidth efficiency
- Industrial durability to withstand severe outdoor conditions
- Fiber interface for long distance transmission with high scalability
- Moxa’s EDS-510A-T industrial Ethernet switches (with Moxa SFP-1G gigabit Ethernet SFP modules) were chosen to build regional gigabit ethernet backbones over fiber for each TMC, with transmissions of up to 120 km.
- The EDS-510A-T managed switches were configured with IGMP snooping to optimize bandwidth usage and reduce network congestion.
- Each EDS-510A-T offers secure connections with TACACS+, SNMPv3, IEEE802.1x, HTTPS, and SSH to prevent unauthorized network access, features Turbo Ring™ technology to provide provide network redundancy with recovery times of less than 50 ms (at 250-switch load), and supports topology options such as Ring Coupling to provide a backup path and ensure uninterrupted connectivity when a link fails.
- The NPort 6450-T terminal servers feature Moxa’s Real COM mode for secure remote operation and Ethernet connectivity to existing serial devices such as vehicle loop sensors and VMS (variable message sign) equipment.
- The EDS-510A-T switches and NPort 6450-T terminal servers can operate reliably in harsh highway operating conditions due to their wide temperature tolerance (-40 to 75°C).
Driving towards a smarter future
Selected for Cutting-Edge Systems Around the World
The world’s most cutting-edge and advanced transportation projects rely on Moxa’s solutions.
Creating and Adhering to ITS Best Practices
A member of the ITS World Congress with solutions compatible with NEMA TS2 industry standards.
Complete High-Bandwidth Solutions
A complete portfolio of secure high-bandwidth solutions that empowers data-rich ITS applications.
NPort 6000 series
Moxa is the industry-leading serial connectivity solution provider. We commit to provide a variety of serial connectivity solutions to enable connectivity for legacy equipment to the year of 2030 and beyond.
Features and Benefits:
- LCD panel for easy IP address configuration (standard temp. models)
- Secure operation modes for Real COM, TCP Server, TCP Client, Pair Connection, Terminal, and Reverse Terminal
- Nonstandard baudrates supported with high precision
- Port buffers for storing serial data when the Ethernet is offline
- Supports IPv6
- Ethernet redundancy (STP/RSTP/Turbo Ring) with network module
- Generic serial commands supported in Command-by-Command mode
- Security features based on IEC 62443
Layer 2 Managed Switches
The EDS-510A Series is designed especially for communication demanding applications such as process control, shipbuilding, ITS, and DCS systems, which can benefit from a scalable backbone construction.
Features and Benefits:
- 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports for redundant ring and 1 Gigabit Ethernet port for uplink solution
- Turbo Ring and Turbo Chain (recovery time < 20 ms @ 250 switches), RSTP/STP, and MSTP for network redundancy
- TACACS+, SNMPv3, IEEE 802.1X, HTTPS, and SSH to enhance network security
- Easy network management by web browser, CLI, Telnet/serial console, Windows utility, and ABC-01