Powering a Smarter Future - Moxa at Cigré 2022 in Paris
Press release published on August 18, 2022
Moxa will showcase IEC 61850 solutions for substation and feeder automation, as well as reliable edge connectivity solutions for secured energy storage systems (ESS) at Cigré 2022 in Paris, at Moxa’s booth #S220.
As countries accelerate their energy transition toward net zero emissions, substations are playing an increasingly important role in the grid. The challenge facing utilities today is not only to accelerate the upgrade of legacy infrastructure to future-proof digital substations, but also to consider cybersecurity in a more complex architecture.
At Cigré, Moxa will demonstrate the latest innovations across its secure networking and connectivity portfolio that address these challenges, delivering:
Cybersecurity Detection and Protection Solution in Substations
- Critical infrastructure requires advanced networking solutions that strengthen operational resilience and futureproof networks. The EDS-4000/G4000 Series was the world’s first IEC 62443-4-2 compliant set of Ethernet switches on the market, certified by IECEE due to the built-in hardened security that was developed by following the stringent software development lifecycle described in the standard. The EDS-4000/G4000 switches deliver unprecedented performance to meet unpredictable network requirements. These switches support up to 14 ports with a variety of interface speeds and types, such as 2.5GbE uplinks, 90 W PoE, and SFP for long-distance connectivity. The unique rotatable, replaceable power module helps speed up installation and maintenance.
- Built from the ground up to be secure-by-design and IEC 62443-4-2 certified, the RKS-G4000 Series of rackmount switches, due to hit the market in Q3, 2022. These switches enhance network security with up to 28-port full Gigabit modular connectivity. All Moxa’s industrial rackmount switches are built with IACS (Industrial Automation Control System) security features that are available via firmware updates.
- A widely distributed power grid needs IEC 61850 certified VPN solutions to monitor the intelligent electronic devices (IEDs) in each remote substation. Moxa’s EDR-G9010 Series industrial secure routers work as a VPN firewall that provides a multi-layered defense and reduces costs through its multiple Gigabit connections. It uses policy rules to control network traffic between trusted zones while NAT shields the internal network from unauthorized access by outside hosts. To help protect substations from cyberattacks, the EDR-G9010 Series supports Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) to examine the data portion of network packets for grid protocol such as DNP3, IEC 60870-5-104, and IEC 61850 MMS.
IEC 61850 Visibility and Reliability for Substation Digitalization
- Moxa introduces its substation-focused Network Management Software, MXview One with the add-on module MXview Power, that provides deep visibility into substation communication and monitoring. Dedicated to IEC 61850 power network monitoring, MXview Power provides visibility, not only for industrial Ethernet networks, but also for IED statuses, GOOSE messages, and redundant connections in PRP/HSR networks.
- Working with MXview Power, Moxa’s PT-G7828/G7728 Series switches are ideal for transforming traditional substation communications for a digitalized substation automation system (SAS). The PT-G7828/G7728 switches are compliant with the latest IEC 61850-3 Edition 2 Class 2 and IEEE 1613 Class 2 standards to achieve error-free delivery in harsh conditions. Embedded with the innovative GOOSE Check function, MMS server capability, and nanosecond-level time synchronization, the PT-G7828/G7728 switches ensure reliable data transmission in power substations.
Visit Moxa at Cigré 2022 at booth #S220 and join the lecture on Tuesday, August 30 at 9:00 am.
More about Moxa´s power solutions can be found at:
Moxa is a leading provider of edge connectivity, industrial computing, and network infrastructure solutions for enabling connectivity for the Industrial Internet of Things. With over 35 years of industry experience, Moxa has connected more than 82 million devices worldwide and has a distribution and service network to serve customers in more than 80 countries. Moxa delivers lasting business value by empowering industry with reliable networks and sincere service for industrial communications infrastructures.
Daniela van Ardennen
Advertising & PR Manager